Greene County Logo Recorder's Office

Frequenty Asked Questions

How can I change the name on my deed?

To make changes to ownership of property, a new document must be prepared. Title companies or an attorney may assist you in making the necessary changes. The Recorder's Office does not prepare documents.

Name Change and Marital Status

A certified copy of your marriage license is required by Social Security to change your name. You can obtain a certified copy of your license in the following ways:

  1. At the time of application for your marriage license, you can prepay $9 cash or card (card use carries a convenience fee) for a certified copy of the license. As soon as the license is returned to us, we will mail you the certified copy.
  2. After your marriage, when our half of the license has been returned, you may come into our office to pick up your copy for $9 (cash/card).
  3. You may call and pay for a copy using a card (convenience fee applies) and we can mail a certified copy to you.
  4. Send a written request to: 

Recorder of Deeds
940 N Boonville Ave
Springfield, MO 65802 

Include a cashier's check or money order for $9 payable to Recorder of Deeds along with the names of the parties and a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Upon receipt we will mail a certified copy to you. The license must have been issued in Greene County. 

You should contact the following agencies to change your name and notify them of your marital status:

  • Any Drivers License Office:
  • Voter Registration: 
  • Social Security Administration 
    • 1570 W Battlefield Springfield MO 65807
How to Apply

Both parties must appear in person at the Recorder's office with proper identification and social security number.

I know the address of a certain property owner, but do I need other information to get a copy of a deed?

If you have only an address, you must contact the Assessor's office for a legal description of the property in order to locate recorded documents.

Marriage License Fee Distribution:

Children's Trust Fund of Missouri


Shelter Fund for Abused Women


Greene County General Revenue


State & County User Fee


County Employees Retirement System



Does my property have any liens filed on it?

The Recorder of Deeds office is prohibited by law from conducting lien searches. Our office is responsible only to record documents that meet recording requirements. If you wish to search the records yourself, we will be glad to provide assistance. The Recorder's Office is not the only office where liens on property are filed.

When to Apply

Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm (except holidays). The license fee of $51.00 must be paid in Cash or by Debit/Credit Card (there is a convenience fee for card use) at the time of application. No refunds. Missouri law has eliminated the 3-day waiting period to obtain a marriage license. If you are getting married within 30 days from application, you may take your license the same day you apply. You can apply up to three months in advance and pick up your license at the appropriate time. 

It is a misdemeanor for anyone to perform a marriage ceremony if a license is not presented prior to the ceremony (451.120 RSMo.). The marriage is invalid if the ceremony takes place before the license is picked up or if not used in the state of Missouri.

Can you tell me the selling price of a home in my neighborhood?

The selling price of real estate is not required on recorded deeds.

When to pick up License

License must be picked up before ceremony can be performed (see above note). Anyone previously designated may pick up the license. The marriage license is valid for 30 days from the date of issuance and may be used anywhere within the State of Missouri. 


Are there easements on my property?

First check the original plat of the property and also search the indexes. The Recorder's Office does not maintain separate indexes for easements.

What to do with the License

You are responsible for delivering the license to the person who solemnizes your marriage. The person performing the ceremony must complete the left portion of the license, have two witnesses sign it, and return it to the Recorder's office within 15 days after the wedding. The license becomes a permanent record. (The right portion is the Marriage Certificate that is filled out by the minister and retained by the parties as evidence of the marriage)

Proof of age Identification

Identification and proof of age is required of ALL persons. The following proof of age documents will be accepted, along with a valid U.S. government issued photo ID.

  • Ages 16 through 17: Birth Certificate (legal, certified) AND Parental Consent with proof of custody. Individuals 21 or older may not marry an individual under 18 years of age. (RSMo451.090 08/28/18)
  • Age 18 and over: Valid Drivers License (a Birth Certificate may be required if proof of age is in question).
When may I expect the return of my document after recording?

You should receive your original document back within a week.

Are common-law marriages recognized in Missouri?

The State of Missouri does not recognize common-law marriages.


Blood relatives, down to and including first cousins, may not marry under the laws of the State of Missouri. No distinction is made between resident and non-resident individuals. 

Applicants must be 18 years of age to marry without parental consent. Persons between the ages of 16 and 17 may obtain a license with the consent of a parent or legal guardian. Parents or legal guardians must give consent in person (at the time of application) and have proper identification and proof of custody if divorced or never married. If legal guardian is giving consent, a certified copy of guardianship papers must be presented. 

No license will be issued to a person 21 or older if the other person is less than 18 years of age. (Rev RSMo 451.090 08/28/18)

Previously married applicants must give the date their last marriage ended. Persons divorced less than 30 days may apply for a marriage license if they acknowledge, in writing, they understand the divorce can be appealed or set aside within 30 days by the court of jurisdiction.

Are proxy marriages allowed in Missouri?

No, Missouri does not allow marriage by proxy. There are only four states in the United States that allow proxy marriages, California, Colorado, Texas and Montana.

What is "Subscribers Download"?

This is a subscription service which allows downloading of raw data. This service does not allow you to view images on the website.

I know the address of a certain property owner, but do I need other information to get a copy of a deed?

We cannot search records by street address. We need a full legal description; a book and page reference number; name; or document number. To obtain the legal and other information, please check the Greene County Assessor's web page.

How do I obtain a copy of my marriage license?

As long as you purchased your license in Greene County, you may obtain a copy for $9.00. It may be obtained the following ways:

1)Come to the office and pay using cash or card (card use carries a convenience fee $1.00 debit/ $1.25 credit).

2) Write and request a copy by mail and pay with a cashier's check or money order.

3) Call and pay for a copy over the phone (card fee applies) and we can mail a certified copy to you.

Marriage License Checklist

Greene County Circuit Judges and Springfield Municipal Judges will perform marriage ceremonies by appointment. Please call the following numbers to schedule an appointment:

Greene County Circuit Judges: (417) 868-4074 (press 8 when recording starts)

Springfield Municipal Judges: (417) 864-1890


To Apply:

  • $51 for license or $60 for license plus a certified copy. Cash or Card (convenience fee applies to card use)
  • Proper identification
  • Social Security Number
  • Proof of Age
  • Parent or guardian for consent (Age 16-17)